Guide to Effectively Educating State and Local PolicymakersThis timely resource guide facilitates the action steps needed to educate policymakers on relevant health policy issues. The guide stems from the curriculum of SOPHE's State Health Policy Institute (SHPI) that ran from 2009-2011. SHPI aimed to form an elite corps of Health Promotion Policy Experts (HPPEs) that were specialized in educating state legislators and other professionals on the latest policies and research in chronic disease prevention and control. This resources can be used to further the principles and skills that were instilled during the training.
The guide comprises of 6 chapters that contain a wealth of information on the topics such as the role of professionals and legislators, acquiring stakeholders and partners, framing messages, creating policy action plans and kits, case studies of SHPI participants, and more.
To view the guide in its entirety:
- Guide to Effectively Educating State and Local Policymakers (Flash version)
- Guide to Effectively Educating State and Local Policymakers (PDF version)
Download individual chapters below:
- Chapter 1: Leverage Policy to Promote Health
- Chapter 2: Policy and the Role of Public Health Professionals
- Chapter 3: Framework for Educating Policymakers
- Chapter 4: Action Plans to Educate Policymakers
- Chapter 5: Policy Education Kits
- Chapter 6: Case Studies
- Appendix A: Resources
- Appendix B: Templates and Training Tools
- Appendix C: State Health Policy Institute Agendas