Advocating for public health policies is part of SOPHE's mission as a health education organization. SOPHE has a responsibility to educate decision-makers on national and state legislative issues related to a healthy society.
Every year, SOPHE identifies priority issues to focus their education efforts through sustained communication activities with members and chapters.
SOPHE’s Transition Document: Looking Forward: Health Education Priorities for America
SOPHE priorities for 2016:
- Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
- Retain Prevention and Public Health Provisions
- Seek opportunities for 3rd party reimbursement for professionally trained health educators
- Appropriations for CDC's School Health Branch
- Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) Implementation
- Disseminate information on the value of health education as a well-rounded education subject to schools, school districts, and other education stakeholders.
- Health equity policies, programs or practices that address health, social, economic, environmental and other factors that improve health across all populations
- Promote the Health Education Profession as a critical component to addressing the health crisis in our society
- Health literacy
- Tobacco prevention and control
- Support additional regulation of e-cigarettes
- Support local and national legislation to raise the tobacco purchase age to at least 21
- Environmental health/emergency preparedness
SOPHE’s advocacy work includes:
- Developing and maintaining collaborative partnerships with public and private national organizations
- Adopting resolutions for action on selected issues.
- Encouraging chapters to take action on national, state and local health education public policy activities.