Advocating for public health policies is part of SOPHE's mission as a health education organization. SOPHE has a responsibility to educate decision-makers on national and state legislative issues related to a healthy society.
Every year, SOPHE identifies priority issues to focus their education efforts through sustained communication activities with members and chapters.
SOPHE’s Transition Document: Looking Forward: Health Education Priorities for America
SOPHE priorities for 2017:
- Advocate for prevention and public health provisions in congressional legislation and appropriations
- Seek opportunities for third-party reimbursement for professionally trained health educators
- Promote the health education profession as a critical component to addressing the health crisis in our society
- Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) implementation
- Disseminate information on the value of health education as a well-rounded education subject to schools, school districts, and other education stakeholders.
- Tobacco prevention and control
- Support additional regulation of e-cigarettes
- Support local and national legislation to raise the tobacco purchase age to at least 21
- Seek continued reimbursement for tobacco cessation counseling in Medicaid and as a private insurance benefit
- Health equity policies, programs or practices that address health, social, economic, environmental and other factors that improve health across all populations
- Promotion of policies that increase health literacy
SOPHE’s advocacy work includes:
- Developing and maintaining collaborative partnerships with public and private national organizations
- Adopting resolutions for action on selected issues.
- Encouraging chapters to take action on national, state and local health education public policy activities.