Application Deadline: May 26, 2017
Health Promotion Practice is an official peer-reviewed journal of SOPHE devoted to the practical application of health promotion and education.
Launched in 2000, the bimonthly journal is unique in its focus on critical and strategic information for professionals engaged in the practice of developing, implementing, and evaluating health promotion and disease prevention programs. The journal serves as a forum to explore the applications of health promotion/public health education interventions, programs, and best practice strategies in various settings, including but not limited to: community, health care, worksite, educational and international settings. The journal is published by SAGE Publishing (Thousand Oaks, CA).
In addition to publishing feature articles, HPP includes a series of three regular departments designed to highlight evolving and timely, state-of-the-art topics in the application of health promotion and education: tools of the trade, career development, and books & media reviews. The journal also publishes special focus issues and supplements from time to time.
The journal recognizes the critical need to:
- Promote linkages between researchers in the academic and private sectors with health promotion and education practitioners;
- Address the health issues of vulnerable and under-served populations. These partnerships and collaborations are reflected in the editorial philosophy and the broad scope of published articles and contributed sections.
Editor-In-Chief Responsibilities & Qualifications
The editor-in-chief is responsible for the journal’s direction and mission; soliciting articles, overseeing the peer review process, and editing submissions in a timely manner; effectively managing a global editorial board; and collaborating with SOPHE and the publisher to increase the journal’s visibility, readership and impact.
The appointment for the new editor will begin January 1, 2018, after a 3-4-month transition period (beginning August or September 2017) during which the new editor will begin processing manuscript submissions and preparing the February 2018 issue. In addition, the incoming new editor will participate in a comprehensive editorial orientation conducted by the publisher that will include an overview of the ScholarOne online manuscript management system. The appointment is for five (5) years and supported by a stipend.
The successful applicant will be a National SOPHE member, have an advanced degree in health education or a related field, a publications track record, and demonstrate a working familiarity with policy/systems change and translation of research to practice. Demonstrated experience with the editorial process (i.e., as editor, associate editor, or editorial board member of a peer-reviewed journal) is required.
Applications for this editorship must be submitted by May 26, 2017, and include the following materials:
- A statement of the candidate’s vision for Health Promotion Practice (no longer than 1000 words).
- Current curriculum vitae, including a listing of the applicant’s publications.
- Copies of two of the applicant’s representative peer-reviewed publications.
- A statement of support from a supervising administrator from the applicant’s institution or organization.
Submit application to:
HPP Journal Editor Search
Society for Public Health Education
10 G St, NE, Suite 605
Washington, DC 20002
Direct questions to:
Alexandra DeSorbo-Quinn, EdD, MPH
SOPHE Trustee for Publications