Fruits & Veggies—More Matters® September
Fruits & Veggies—More Matters® Month is a time to promote the health benefits of eating a healthy, balanced diet that includes lots of fruits and vegetables.
Why eat more fruits and veggies?
- To stay strong and active. Healthy foods like fruits and veggies have the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients your body needs.
- To lower your health risks. Eating a healthy diet with lots of fruits and veggies can help you lower your risk for chronic health conditions like heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
- To manage your weight. Eating healthy and getting physically activity can help you stay at a healthy weight.
- To set a positive example. If you have children, how you eat can impact their food choices for years to come. Set them up for success!
7 tips to get more fruits & veggies in your life
- Keep a bowl of fruit handy where the entire family can see it.
- Cut up fruits and veggies ahead of time so they’re ready for a quick, healthy snack.
- Consider convenience when shopping. Try pre-cut packages of fruit and veggies for a healthy snack in seconds. Choose packaged fruits that don’t have added sugars.
- Sauté some veggies with olive oil and add your favorite spices. Dunk them in your favorite dressing, hummus or low-fat dip.
Throw baby carrots or grapes into a bag and take them with you for an easy snack on the go. The tiny versions of most vegetables actually tend to be sweeter and have more flavor in each bite.
- Whether it’s strawberry-banana, green tea and blueberry, or a fruit and veggie mix, smoothies are an easy way to drink up your fruit and veggie servings.
- Try a new veggie recipe.
- Fruits and veggies are also delicious! This is a great time to try a new recipe that features produce—or to bring home a fruit or vegetable that your family hasn’t tried before for fun. Remember, good habits start early—if you have kids, encouraging them to eat lots of fruits and veggies can go a long way in helping them develop healthy eating habits that will last a lifetime.