Thanks for joining us for National Health Education Week (NHEW) 2013!
This year's theme was "The Role of Health Education Specialists in Implementing the Affordable Care Act."
Since 1995, National Health Education Week (NHEW) has been celebrated during the third full week of October. Sponsored by the Society for Public Health Education (SOPHE), this celebration focuses national attention on a major public health issue and promotes consumers' understanding of the role of health education in promoting the public's health.
In response to sky rocketing healthcare costs, demand for improved health outcomes and increased access and quality of care, the Affordable Care Act (ACA) was signed into law on March 23, 2010. The law authorized establishment of new models of payer and system reform and created new opportunities for health educators to address prevention, wellness, and chronic disease management.
This year's NHEW addressed implementation of this historic law. Below are resources as well as the daily topic themes.
Monday, October 21:Communicating ACA's Provisions for Improving Consumer Health & Wellness
Join our Twitter Chat to Kick off the week: 2pm ET NHEW2013 @SOPHEtweet
Wednesday, October 23:Working with Accountable Care Organizations (ACO) and Patient-Centered Medical Homes (PCMH)
Look to SOPHE Social Media for information on ACOs and PCMHs Facebook, Twitter, Linked In
Friday, October 25:Advocating for the Prevention and Public Health Fund
Look to SOPHE Social Media for Advocacy tips and social media contest winners! Facebook, Twitter, Linked In
Accountable Care Organizations and Patient-Centered Medical Home Information:
- Training Materials: How the Marketplace Works
- Official Local Event Planning Resources
- Affordable Care Act Health Insurance Marketplace Outreach and Enrollment Toolkit for Elected Officials
- About the Law
- Health Care Blog
- HHS Fact Sheets
- HHS Health Law On Track Infographic
- HHS State by State Fact Sheets
- Health Information Technology in the United States: Better Information Systems for Better Care, 2013
- CMS Widget
- Find A Health Center
- CCD Learning Community Resource Library - ACA
- Health Insurance Marketplace: In-Person Assistance Resources for Consumers
- HealthCare.gov Call Center