Programs & Initiatives
To address the health and wellness priorities that align with the society’s mission and strategic plan, SOPHE leads several health promotion initiatives and professional development programs. Through these programs and initiatives, SOPHE promotes advancements in the field of health education while contributing to the global public health effort to improve health outcomes and eliminate racial and ethnic disparities.
Many of SOPHE’s programs focus on influencing policy, systems and environmental change to improve health outcomes. SOPHE collaborates with national, state and local partners to address a wide range of health issues through advocacy, professional development, technical assistance, and developing and connecting people to resources.
Through these programs, SOPHE:
- Raises awareness of the connection between behavioral sciences, health education, health promotion, and the surrounding environment;
- Builds knowledge and skills to help health educators respond to public health emergencies;
- Fosters family, school and community partnerships to reduce risks associated with chronic disease among school-aged children;
- Increases capacity among SOPHE chapters to work with local communities in reducing racial and ethnic health disparities;
- Strengthens the connection between behavioral science and health education with more comprehensive approaches to unintentional injury and violence prevention;
- Improves advocacy efforts by educating policy makers and providing training and resources to help public health workers improve advocacy skills.