SOPHE Internship Program
The SOPHE Internship Program offers participants an opportunity to gain valuable experience in a nonprofit health education organization serving over 4,000 members globally. Internship candidates provide essential administrative support, but other responsibilities vary depending on the time of year.
Many internship candidates are studying:
- Public health
- Health policy
- Health promotion
- Health education
The program can also provide an outstanding background for students studying:
Consideration for students without a public health background is handled on a case-by-case basis.
SOPHE invites anyone to apply, although most internship candidates are either currently in college or graduate school or recent graduates.
Application Deadlines for 2020 & 2021 Sessions
|Spring 2020 (January-April)||September 30, 2019|
|Summer 2020 (May-August)||January 27, 2020|
|Fall 2020 (September-December)||May 18, 2020|
|Spring 2021 (January-April)||September 28, 2020|
Send applications to HR@sophe.org
Applicant must be able to locate to Washington, D.C. for the duration of the internship session. Interns work in the SOPHE National office, located at 10 G St, NE, Suite 605, Washington, D.C., 20002. The national office does not offer community or patient interactions.
Requested academics and skillsets include:
- The applicant is currently enrolled or a recent graduate of an educational institution, college, university or continuing education program
- Completed two or more years of coursework with a 3.0 GPA or above
- Display an interest in a career related to health, health promotion and education, health policy, health communications
- Possess strong verbal, written, communication and analytical skills
- Exhibit strong computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office
Your application must include all of the following in order to be considered:
- SOPHE Internship Application
- Cover letter
- Writing sample (academic or professional work)
- Written statement if availability differs from SOPHE’s session length or working hours are below full-time (email will suffice)
The application and all requested materials must be submitted together and emailed to HR@sophe.org. Failure to meet any of the above-mentioned requirements may delay, or even prevent, the review of your application. Please keep a photocopy of your completed application for your files. Given the volume of incoming applications, we will not be able to return any of the materials we receive.
- Academic credit for the internship is at the discretion of your college or university
- SOPHE will provide appropriate information to your school
- Make arrangements for earning credit before you begin the internship
How long is a SOPHE Internship?
A SOPHE internship is approximately 12-13 weeks. Interns choose a spring session (January-April), the summer session (May-August), or the fall session (September-December).
Are the internships full-time?
To maximize learning opportunities, full-time is preferred. If you are unable to commit to full-time, please still apply and include a written statement why part-time is needed.
What will my duties include?
SOPHE interns can expect to work on a variety of projects pertinent to SOPHE’s mission but similar to other nonprofit voluntary organizations. Among these is advocacy, program planning, communications planning/outreach, research, conference planning, fundraising, chapter development, administrative responsibilities/data entry.
Upon interviewing, the scope of work and activity is tailored to each intern’s expertise and pertinent to SOPHE’s needs. SOPHE interns will have the opportunity to develop a project in conjunction with SOPHE staff that they will create and complete during their internship.
Activities may include:
- Policy and advocacy
- Program planning
- Health education research
- SOPHE professional meetings and conferences
What are examples of past intern projects?
- Utilization of program planning skills and competencies for health education sponsored events of SOPHE, including but not limited to the Annual Conference, Annual Advocacy Summit, National Health Education Week
- Dissemination of membership engagement efforts; health communications and social media platform management; independent writing for social media campaigns, national health observances, and virtual advocacy
- Conducting seminal research on MPH programs in community health education, including web-based survey and obtaining IRB review; preparation of an article for publication
- Development of tool kit, communications plan and evaluation, and liaison with other groups for National Health Education Week; preparation and presentation of a poster at SOPHE’s Annual Conference
- Assist with research to develop a database of employers for a study of the impact of health education credentialing; development and presentation of a poster at SOPHE’s Annual Conference
- Development of SOPHE resolution on handgun violence and establishment of SOPHE partnership to various organizations; presentation to SOPHE Board; development of resolution implementation plan
- Assist with grant writing and proposal development
What are the perks I can expect if I become a SOPHE intern?
- Receive one-year complimentary SOPHE Membership.
- You may have the opportunity to attend health-related hearings and briefings and have valuable opportunities to interact and network with other leaders and members in the SOPHE, health education, and public health communities.
- Gain valuable work experience in a professional office environment, building relationships with professionals who can potentially serve as references and provide letters of recommendations for future endeavors.
- Examine how nonprofit membership organizations operate, are governed, and managed.
- You will receive firsthand experience planning professional continuing education, assisting with coalition/chapter development and support, planning and implementing advocacy efforts and other activities related to the advanced competencies of health education professionals.
How would you describe the ideal candidate for the SOPHE internship position?
The ideal candidate will:
- Work with minimal supervision
- Possess excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Be detail-oriented
- Be reliable and prompt
- Commit to a regular schedule
- Deal tactfully with a variety of personalities
- Work in a team environment
- Demonstrate strong organizational skills
- Prioritize and manage multiple tasks and responsibilities
- Be well versed in Microsoft® Office
- Possess internet research and database management experience
- Be highly motivated and be a self-starter
What should I consider before applying for a SOPHE internship?
Washington, D.C. Metropolitan area has a high cost of living. Please keep this in mind when searching for a place to stay.
SOPHE internships occur in an office setting. SOPHE does not offer on-the-ground community health programs or services.
Additional questions? Send an email to HR@sophe.org