Helen P. Cleary Scholarship
The Helen P. Cleary Scholarship provides financial support to students enrolled in a health education related degree program to take the national Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES®) examination.
The scholarship honors Dr. Cleary who was instrumental in establishing NCHEC in 1989 and received the very first CHES® credential (CHES #1). Up to six scholarships will be awarded annually, each worth approximately $440 to cover the examination registration fee and study materials.
Learn about the next application cycle: April 12-16, 2021
Scholarships are awarded to student applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Students who are pursuing a bachelors, masters, or doctoral health education related degree from an accredited university in the United States.
- At the time of application, students enrolled full-time (9 hrs/semester or more) at an institution of higher education that prepares students for the CHES® examinations and will graduate within 90 days (before or after) taking the exam.
- Must have a minimum of a 3.0 overall GPA with a passion for health education.
- Must Demonstrate accomplishments or service in the field of health education during academic studies.
- Must Demonstrate need for financial support for certification exam fees and study materials.
2021 October CHES® examination
Apply: April 12 – 16, 2021
Notification: May 21, 2021
2021 April CHES® examination (CLOSED)
Apply: September 21 – 25, 2020
Notification: October 31, 2020
- Current academic Transcript (official preferred/unofficial acceptable).
- Completed demonstrated financial need form – download, complete and submit.
- Signed faculty sponsorship form – download, complete and submit.
- One page personal statement communicating enthusiasm for the profession and articulating the importance of certification to meet professional goals. The statement should be typed, single spaced, maximum of 1-page in length, minimum of 11-point font and 1-inch margins on all sides, use standard rules of grammar, punctuation and writing.
Assemble transcript, completed financial need and signed faculty sponsorship forms and personal statement before submitting the online application.
The Helen P. Cleary Scholarship is a program of the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. and administered by SOPHE.