Who We Are
The Society for Public Health Education (SOPHE) is a nonprofit, independent professional association that represents a diverse membership of nearly 4,000 health education professionals and students in the United States and 25 international countries.
SOPHE members work in schools, universities, voluntary organizations, health care settings, worksites, and in local, state and federal government agencies.
What We Do
- Raise awareness of the connection between behavioral sciences, health education, health promotion, and the surrounding environment.
- Build knowledge and skills to help health educators respond to public health emergencies.
- Foster family, school and community partnerships to reduce risks associated with chronic disease among school-aged children.
- Increase capacity among SOPHE chapters to work with local communities in reducing racial and ethnic health disparities.
- Strengthen the connection between behavioral science and health education with more comprehensive approaches to unintentional injury and violence prevention.
- Improve advocacy efforts by educating policy makers and providing training and resources to help public health workers improve advocacy skills.
What We Promote
- Healthy behaviors
- Healthy communities
- Healthy environments
Sign up to get SOPHE news and information