Advocating for public health
SOPHE works to educate decision-makers on national and state legislative issues related to a healthy society.
We collaborate with public and private organizations to adopt resolutions while engaging members and chapters to take action on local, state and national public policy activities.
Every year, SOPHE identifies priority issues to focus our education efforts through sustained communication activities with members and chapters.
SOPHE advocacy priorities
- Advocate for prevention and public health provisions in congressional legislation and appropriations
- Support tobacco prevention and control policies as well as advocate for additional funding for tobacco cessation programming
- Seek opportunities for third-party reimbursement for professionally trained health educators
- Promote the health education profession as a critical component in addressing the health crises in our society
- Promote health equity policies, programs and practices that address health, social, economic, environmental and other factors that improve health across all populations
- Promotion of policies that increase health literacy
“SOPHE is at the table in all the leading health and policy initiatives . . . it is a cutting edge pluralistic society.”
Louise Villejo, MPH, MCHES, SOPHE member
Related ResourcesPolicy brief on health education in the Every Student Succeeds Act
This policy brief examines the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA), the nation’s primary federal K-12 education statute, and explores avenues to advocate for health education curricula in the U.S. school systems.