Advocating for Public Health
SOPHE works to educate decision-makers on national and state legislative issues related to a healthy society.
We collaborate with public and private organizations to adopt resolutions while engaging members and chapters to take action on local, state and national public policy activities.
Every year, SOPHE identifies priority issues to focus our education efforts through sustained communication activities with members and chapters.
We need you to make these priorities a reality.
SOPHE advocacy priorities
- Advocate for prevention, public health and health promotion policies at the federal, state and local level.
- Support tobacco cessation and control policies.
- Support policy action to remove flavored e-cigarette products from the market, including mint and menthol, to curb the youth e-cigarette epidemic.
- Seek opportunities for health reimbursement for professionally trained health educators.
- Health education is a critical component to address health crises.
- Promote health equity policies, programs and practices that address health, social, economic, environmental and other factors that improve health.
- Promote policies that increase health literacy.
- Advocate for health education in schools.
“SOPHE is at the table in all the leading health and policy initiatives . . . it is a cutting edge pluralistic society.”
Louise Villejo, MPH, MCHES, SOPHE member
Related ResourcesPolicy brief on health education in the Every Student Succeeds Act
This policy brief examines the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA), the nation’s primary federal K-12 education statute, and explores avenues to advocate for health education curricula in the U.S. school systems.
A Nation in Crisis: A Health Education Approach to Preventing Opioid Misuse and Addiction This policy brief explores the U.S. opioid epidemic and advocates for a broader role for health education in prevention strategies to stem the tide of opioid-related deaths in the United States.