SOPHE publications are must-have items for individuals new to the health education profession, and those who have been health educators for years.
Underserved Populations: Advancing Health, Engaging, and Developing (UP AHEaD) Research Handbook
Practical Methods for Community Engagement
Blending theory, practice, and lessons learned, this handbook offers constructive guidance on best practices to establish a dynamic, community-academic partnership that utilizes the talents and unique knowledge of community members and the skills and resources of researchers.
Underserved Populations: Advancing Health, Engaging, and Developing (Up Ahead) Research Handbook provides a practical “how-to” methodology for engaging communities.
It addresses three key aspects of developing a research-community collaboration:
- Identifying community partners and engaging diverse community stakeholders.
- Using group processes for learning about stakeholders’ ideas and priorities.
- Examining data from community members and developing responsive initiatives.
Audiences for this handbook:
- Health researchers seeking to advance the health of populations through research partnerships that focus on community priorities.
- Community organizations
- Community members who want to advance methods that effectively engage and sustain research relationships with underserved, vulnerable populations who suffer the greatest health disparities in the U.S.
Identifying and establishing a relationship with community stakeholders requires more than relying on individuals who are relatively easy to recruit because they are from more advantaged backgrounds, from communities that are more experienced in working with researchers or individuals receiving care through a research institution.
Promotional webinar explores the content of SOPHE’s textbook, Introduction to Global Health Promotion. The authors discuss how the text can be used in the classroom to develop well-rounded and informed health education and health promotion students.
- Health Education & Behavior
- Health Promotion Practice
- Pedagogy in Health Promotion: The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
Members please log in to gain full access to these publications & resources.
SOPHE members receive SOPHE’s News & Views, a quarterly newsletter. Read about the latest news and program updates, revisit the conference or summit, get the latest from chapters and a special note from SOPHE’s president.
SOPHE’s Health Promotion News – a bimonthly e-newsletter. Everyone can get news and opportunities in health education and health promotion via email.
Sign up to get SOPHE news and information