Health Equity Toolkit
SOPHE’s Health Equity & Anti-Racism Task Force developed the following resources for SOPHE members, chapters, stakeholders, and other community-based organizations to use in their work.
Breny, J. (2020). Continuing the Journey Toward Health Equity: Becoming antiracist in health promotion research and practice. Health Education & Behavior, 47(5), pp.665-670.
Came, H. & Griffith, D. (2018). Tackling racism as a “wicked” public health problem: Enabling allies in anti-racism praxis. Social Science & Medicine, 199, 181-188.
Ford, C. L., & Airhihenbuwa, C. O. (2010). The public health critical race methodology: Praxis for antiracism research. Social Science & Medicine, 71, 1390-1398. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2010.07.030
Ford, C. L., & Airhihenbuwa, C. O. (2010). Critical race theory, race equity, and public health: Toward antiracism praxis. American Journal of Public Health, 100(S1), S30-S35.
Hagopian, A., West, K. M., Ornelas, I. J., Hart, A. N., Hagedorn, J., & Spigner, C. (2018). Adopting an anti-racism public health curriculum competency: The University of Washington experience. Public Health Reports, 133(4), 507-513. doi: 10.1177/0033354918774791
Jones, C. P. (2000). Levels of racism: A theoretic framework and a gardener’s tale. American Journal of Public Health, 90(8), 1212-1215.
Lee, E. (2011). Looking through an antiracist lens. In Lee, E., Menkart, D., & Okazawa-Rey, M. (Eds.), Beyond Heroes and Holidays (pp. 404 – 406). Teaching for Change.
McIntosh, P. (1989). White privilege: Unpacking the invisible knapsack. Peace & Freedom, July/August, 10-12.
Pokrel, R., Muhammad, M., Jimenez, J., et al. (2021). Antiracism glossary for education and life. Journal of College Academic Support Programs, 4(1), 75-92.
Sue, D. W., Alsaidi, S., Awad, M. N., Glaeser, E., Calle, C. Z., & Mendez, N. (2019). Disarming racial microaggressions: Microintervention strategies for targets, white allies, and bystanders. American Psychologist, 74(1), 128-142.
Terry, P. E. (2021). Allyship, antiracism and the strength of weak ties: A barber, a professor, and an entrepreneur walk into a room. American Journal of Health Promotion, 35(2), 163-167. doi: 10.1177/0890117120982201
Continuum on Becoming and Anti-Racist Multicultural Organization. Crossroads Ministry, Chicago, IL: Adapted from original concept by Bailey Jackson and Rita Hardiman, and further developed by Andrea Avazian and Ronice Branding; further adapted by Melia LaCour, PSESD.
King County (2016). Awake to Woke: Building a Race Equity Culture. 2016-22 King County Washington Equity and Social Justice
21-Day Racial Equity Habit Building Challenges Framework:
- Donovan, S. K., Storms, S. L. B., & Williams, T. P. (2020). Teaching Through Challenges for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Feagin, J. R. (2013). The WhiteRacial Frame: Centuries of Racial Framing and Counter-Framing. Routledge.
- Ford, C. L., Griffith, D. M., Bruce, M. A., & Gilbert, K. L. (2019). Racism: Science & Tools for the Public Health Professional. APHA Press.
- Gentlewarrior, Sabrina & Paredes, Luis (Editors), (2021). The Leading for Change Racial Equity and Justice Institute Practitioner Handbook. Bridgewater State University on behalf of the Racial Equity and Justice Institute.
- Greenwald, A., & Banaji, M. (2013). Blindspot: Hidden Biases of Good People. Delacorte Press.
- Kendi, I. X. (2019). How to be an antiracist. Random House.
- Saad, L. (2020). Me and white supremacy: Combat racism, change the world, and become a good ancestor. Sourcebooks.