Chronic diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancer, are the leading causes of preventable death and disability in the United States. As a result, CDC’s National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion funds programs that help communities promote healthy behaviors and environments where Americans live, learn, work, and play.
This toolkit is a companion to Partnering4Health: Approaches to Sustaining Healthy Communities and is framed around six approaches to sustainability:
- Developing and implementing PSE change strategies for chronic disease prevention
- Building coalitions and partnerships
- Establishing a home for healthy community’s work
- Developing communication strategies
- Building coalition members’ skills
- Developing social marketing strategies