SOPHE Annual Advocacy Summit
A two-and-a-half-day meeting in Washington, DC. for health education professionals and students to engage in effective advocacy for a common agenda at national, state and local levels.
The Summit engages public health leaders to share advocacy training, materials, and resources.
The Summit provides a learning environment for all levels of knowledge and experience.
Participants new to advocacy learn the basics to enhance their confidence. Seasoned advocacy veterans are exposed to advanced sessions.
Following the Summit, participants are encouraged to continue advocacy efforts in their communities.
Who Will Be There?
A solid majority of students – undergraduate and graduate — and health education/promotion professionals.
What Will Attendees Learn?
The Summit kicks off with the first day-and-a-half spent learning.
- Multiple tracks cover basic, intermediate and advanced-level advocacy training.
- Participants select sessions of interest in health policy and public health fields.
- Learn the legislative priorities
- Participate in practice sessions
- Brainstorm with state delegations
The final day is spent on Capitol Hill “hitting the halls of Congress.” Each person makes one or more visits to a Congressional office.