Call for board of trustee applicants
Do you have experience in SOPHE and are interested in moving to the next level? Individuals with exemplary leadership and commitment to SOPHE, health education and health promotion are critical to the success of SOPHE and set a powerful example for others.
We actively recruit a diverse slate of members for the board of trustees, who would start their terms of office in the spring. Terms range from one to three years of service.
Nominate yourself to fill one of the following trustee positions:
- President-elect to serve a three-year term as president-elect, president and past president.
- Secretary to serve a three-year term.
- Student trustee to serve a one-year term.
- Four at-large trustees to serve two-year terms.
The opportunity to help lead SOPHE is a notable personal and professional achievement. YOU have the opportunity to shape the future of SOPHE!
In a leadership role, you will:
- Play a significant role in advancing the health education profession.
- Enhance the value of SOPHE to school and public health stakeholders.
- Access to up-to-date information about the challenges facing health education and health promotion research and practice.
- The chance to shape SOPHE’s strategic future directions.
- Develop new leadership skills.
- An opportunity to earn Category II Continuing Education Contact Hours for CHES/MCHES.
SOPHE leaders devote time, energy and ideas to move the organization forward. Read more about the obligations of a board member.
Together, we can ensure that SOPHE has a strong and vibrant future!
SOPHE Officer Nominations
We actively recruit members to the board of trustees, who will start their terms of office annually in the spring.
I. General Responsibilities of all members of the board of trustees
- Determine the organization’s mission and purposes.
- Select and support the chief executive officer.
- Ensure effective organizational planning.
- Ensure adequate resources.
- Manage resources effectively.
- Determine, monitor, and strengthen SOPHE’s programs and services.
- Enhance SOPHE’s public standing.
- Ensure SOPHE’s legal and ethical integrity and maintain accountability.
- Recruit and orient new board members and assess board performance.
- Participate in face-to-face Midyear and Annual meetings of the SOPHE Board and the All-Member Business Meeting at the Annual Meeting.
- Participate in monthly conference calls of the Board of Trustees.
- Appoint committee chairs/co-chairs for the respective areas and oversee their development, implementation, and evaluation of action plans in support of the SOPHE strategic plan, according to their role descriptions in the SOPHE Procedures Manual.
- Report on the progress/activities of the respective committees to the Board.
- Communicate decisions/discussions of the Board to the respective committee leadership.
- Alerting the SOPHE Treasurer to new resource development opportunities.