Advocating for public health
SOPHE works to educate decision-makers on national and state legislative issues related to a healthy society.
We collaborate with public and private organizations to adopt resolutions while engaging members and chapters to take action on local, state and national public policy activities.
Every year, SOPHE identifies priority issues to focus our education efforts through sustained communication activities with members and chapters.
SOPHE’s new transition document
View the updated priorities recommended to the new administration and the 115th Congress, Looking Forward: Health Education Priorities for America
SOPHE priorities for 2017
- Advocate for prevention and public health provisions in congressional legislation and appropriation
- Seek opportunities for third-party reimbursement for professionally trained health educators
- Promote the health education profession as a critical component to addressing the health crisis in our society
- Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) implementation
- Disseminate information on the value of health education as a well-rounded education subject to schools, school districts, and other education stakeholders
- Tobacco prevention and control
- Support additional regulation of e-cigarettes
- Support local and national legislation to raise the tobacco purchase age to at least 21
- Seek continued reimbursement for tobacco cessation counseling in Medicaid and as a private insurance benefit
- Health equity policies, programs or practices that address health, social, economic, environmental and other factors that improve health across all populations
- Promotion of policies that increase health literacy
“SOPHE is at the table in all the leading health and policy initiatives . . . it is a cutting edge pluralistic society.”
Louise Villejo, MPH, MCHES, SOPHE member